Project Description

Client: Newton County
Location: Covington, GA
Size: 75,000 SF

Pre-construction and construction services were provided for the rehabilitation of this second empire style, circa 1884 historic county courthouse  on the square in downtown Covington, Georgia. The three-story courthouse with clock tower required cleaning and restoration of the exterior masonry, hazardous materials abatement, historic wood window, door and interior trim restoration, plaster restoration and interior wood flooring restoration. All electrical, plumbing, fire protection and HVAC systems were updated and retrofitted into the existing structure. The rehabilitation resulted in the use of the courthouse for county government operations such as planning and development, purchasing, and other administrative offices. The original courtroom was converted to the county Board of Commissioners meeting room.