Client: Emory University
Location: Atlanta, GA
Structural and cosmetic rehabilitation of historic church originally constructed in 1841. The scope included major structural rehabilitation including some refinishing of the facility. Our firm worked very closely with the Architect to select subcontractors, vendors and materials to ensure the historic integrity of the church remained intact. The interior of the church was carefully demolished, marking all pews and floor boards for their location. These materials were moved to a temperature controlled storage facility during construction. The heavy timber foundation system required a jacking system to be in place while ensuring the original eighteen foot float glass windows did not damage during the process. The foundation and structural floor system was completely restored and wood flooring and pews refinished. The interior balcony, supports, columns, plaster, HVAC and electrical systems were all restored. Today the Old Church is used for weddings and community events.