Client: University of West Georgia
Location: Newnan, GA
Surface Area: 83,265 SF
Adaptive reuse of a historic hospital into the Newnan campus of the University of West Georgia. Constructed in 1925, the existing structure included multiple renovations and additions added over a period of 86 years. The challenge was to convert a hodge-podge of past construction methods into a sleek, technologically advanced 21st century higher education campus.
The renovation required demolition of seven previous additions, asbestos abatement and lead remediation throughout and the addition of a new lecture hall. The completed project resulted in 51,407 SF of finished space for general classrooms, chemistry labs and administration offices for the Nursing School. An additional 31,858 SF of warm shell space was prepared for future use. The project also included nearly a city block of new sitework including sidewalks, parking lot, streetscape, curb and gutter and new landscaping.